Why I Finally Stopped Rushing Through Prayer
One evening many years ago I noticed something embarrassing.
I had finished praying, stood up from the chair in my office, walked into the hallway, and couldn't remember a single thing I'd just prayed about.
Not one.
I knew I'd prayed.
I remembered saying "Amen."
Everything in between felt like a blur.
That bothered me more than I expected.
I wasn't distracted because life was unusually chaotic. It was a fairly normal Tuesday. Somehow I had managed to turn a conversation with God into another item to check off before getting on with the rest of my evening.
I sat back down.
Not because I had another request.
Because I realized I had been present physically but absent mentally.
Prayer Can Become Routine Without Us Noticing
Most habits begin with good intentions.
Reading Scripture.
Attending church.
Serving others.
Even daily effective prayer.
Over time, though, familiar things can quietly become automatic. We still do them, but we're no longer fully engaged. We know the words before we say them. We finish sentences without thinking about what they actually mean.
That's not because we love God less.
Sometimes it's simply because life moves faster than our souls were designed to move.
I Was Bringing My Schedule Into Prayer
One morning I caught myself looking at the clock three different times while praying.
Not because I had somewhere urgent to be.
I just wanted to know how much longer I'd been sitting there.
That realization stung.
Imagine having coffee with a close friend while checking your watch every thirty seconds.
You'd probably assume they wanted to leave.
Yet I'd been doing something similar with God.
I wasn't rushing because prayer was unimportant.
I was rushing because my mind had already moved on to everything waiting after prayer.
Jesus Never Appeared To Hurry His Time With The Father
This has challenged me for years.
Jesus lived with enormous demands.
Crowds followed Him.
People interrupted Him constantly.
There were sick people needing healing, disciples asking questions, religious leaders creating conflict, and ordinary responsibilities filling every day.
Still, He repeatedly withdrew to pray.
Not because He had extra time.
Because communion with the Father wasn't something squeezed into leftover moments.
It was central.
That perspective has forced me to ask some uncomfortable questions about my own priorities.
A Walk That Changed My Prayer Life
Several years ago, I stopped trying to force every prayer to happen while sitting still.
One afternoon I went for a walk through a local nature trail (there are a lot of these in Vancouver, BC, Canada). Leaves were scattered across the path after a windy night. Somewhere nearby I could hear children laughing at a playground, though I couldn't see them through the trees.
Instead of bringing a list of requests, I simply started talking to God.
The conversation felt different.
Less formal.
More honest.
I'd stop occasionally just to notice what was around me. A squirrel darting across a fallen log. Sunlight breaking through the branches. The smell of damp earth after rain.
I wasn't trying to create some mystical experience.
I was slowing down enough to notice both God's creation and God's presence.
The Difference Between Talking And Communing
There's nothing wrong with bringing requests to God.
We should.
Scripture encourages us to ask, seek, and knock.
But prayer isn't only presenting a list.
It's also relationship.
Imagine if every conversation with your spouse, your closest friend, or one of your children consisted entirely of requests.
Eventually something would feel missing.
Healthy relationships include listening.
Reflecting.
Laughing.
Silence.
Gratitude.
Prayer isn't much different.
Three Things I Started Doing Differently
These changes weren't dramatic.
They were surprisingly simple.
I stopped bringing my phone.
Even if I didn't plan to check it, just knowing it was beside me made distraction easier.
I left pauses between thoughts.
Not awkwardly long pauses.
Just enough space to stop filling every second with my own words.
I prayed one concern at a time.
Instead of racing through fifteen different requests, I stayed with one conversation until it felt complete.
Those small changes made prayer feel less like a presentation and more like an actual conversation.
A Retired Teacher Shared Something Beautiful
After a Bible study one evening, an older woman told my wife and I about her prayer routine.
She'd been a teacher for nearly forty years.
She smiled and said, "When I retired, I realized I'd spent decades talking fast because bells kept telling me when it was time to move on."
Then she laughed.
"I finally figured out God doesn't use school bells."
That simple comment stayed with us.
Sometimes we're still living by rhythms that no longer serve us.
God rarely rushes us.
We usually rush ourselves.
Why Silence Feels Uncomfortable
Silence exposes things.
When everything becomes quiet, worries we were avoiding suddenly become obvious.
Old conversations replay.
Questions surface.
Regrets show up.
That's one reason many of us keep ourselves constantly occupied.
Noise can become an escape.
Prayer often invites us into the opposite.
Not because God wants to make us uncomfortable.
Because healing usually begins where honesty begins.
The World Rewards Speed
Everything around us encourages faster living.
Faster internet.
Faster shipping.
Faster replies.
Faster decisions.
If something takes longer than expected, frustration arrives almost immediately.
Without realizing it, we can bring that same expectation into prayer.
We want immediate clarity.
Immediate peace.
Immediate answers.
Sometimes God provides those things.
Sometimes He provides Himself first.
That's usually what we needed most anyway.
The Prayer I Keep Returning To
These days I often begin with one simple sentence.
"The Lord, slow my heart down."
Not my calendar.
My heart.
Because I've learned those aren't always the same thing.
A busy day doesn't automatically create a hurried spirit.
A hurried spirit, however, can make even a quiet afternoon feel exhausting.
The Unexpected Benefit
One surprising thing happened after I stopped rushing through prayer.
I became less rushed with people.
I interrupted less.
Listened longer.
Reacted more slowly.
I didn't notice the change immediately.
Other people did first.
One friend commented that I seemed calmer during conversations.
I hadn't been trying to improve my communication skills.
I'd simply been spending less time hurrying God.
Apparently that changed the way I approached everyone else too.
I'm Still Learning
There are still mornings when I rush.
Still days when my mind wanders halfway through a prayer.
Still evenings when I realize I've spent more time thinking about tomorrow than talking with God today.
I'm not writing this as someone who's mastered quietness.
Far from it.
I'm writing as someone who's slowly discovering that prayer was never meant to be another task completed as efficiently as possible.
It's an invitation.
One that doesn't expire because I got distracted yesterday.
One that patiently waits even when I show up with a mind that's scattered in six different directions.
The Lord has never once seemed impatient with my learning process. That alone encourages me to slow down a little more tomorrow. Not because slower automatically means holier, but because relationships usually grow deeper when neither person is trying to hurry the conversation toward the finish line.
Comments
Post a Comment