Why Some Prayers Feel Unanswered Even When God Is Listening

A while back I was helping a neighbor clear out his late father’s workshop. We spent most of an afternoon opening drawers that probably hadn’t been touched in years. There were bent nails in old coffee cans, fishing line wrapped around screwdrivers, half-used tubes of glue that had turned solid, and one drawer filled almost entirely with keys that apparently opened nothing anyone could identify.

At some point we found an old radio underneath a pile of extension cords. He plugged it in mostly as a joke, and somehow it still worked, although only one station came through and even that sounded rough. We left it playing while we kept sorting things.

I thought about that workshop later for reasons I couldn’t quite explain.

Maybe because so much of it had been waiting there untouched. Objects someone once used every week had become things nobody understood. I remember driving home and suddenly thinking about a prayer I’d been carrying for so long that I couldn’t honestly remember when I started praying it.

That bothered me.

Not the prayer itself. The fact that I couldn’t remember the beginning anymore.

I’d said some version of it so many times that it had become part of the background noise of my life. I still meant it, but I wasn’t sure what I expected to happen when I said it anymore.

That night I prayed about it again, although “prayed” might be generous. I mostly sat there and said, “Father, I don’t understand what’s happening with this.”

There wasn’t another sentence for a while.

Nothing changed that night.

I think that’s the part I used to have trouble admitting.

When You Start Watching For Something To Happen

After you’ve prayed about something for a while, you start watching.

At least I do.

You notice little changes and wonder if they mean something. A phone call comes in and your heart jumps. Someone mentions the subject unexpectedly and you wonder whether that’s significant. You read a verse and immediately start asking whether it’s “for” the situation.

It can become exhausting.

I had one season where I checked my email far too often because I was waiting for news about something important. I’d already prayed about it. I’d told myself I had placed it in God’s hands. Then I would refresh the inbox again twenty minutes later.

There was something almost funny about that contradiction.

I trusted God.

Also, apparently, I trusted the refresh button.

That’s what waiting can do. It exposes the gap between what you believe and what your nerves are doing.

I don’t think that automatically makes someone faithless. Sometimes it just means the situation matters.

One Prayer Got Embarrassingly Polite

There was another situation, more personal, where I noticed my prayers had become strangely careful.

I wasn’t saying what I actually thought anymore.

I’d say things like, “Father, give me wisdom in this relationship,” which sounded fine. It was fine. But what I really wanted to say was, “I’m hurt, and I’m still angry about something I thought I was over.”

Those are not the same prayer.

For whatever reason, I kept choosing the cleaner version.

Maybe I didn’t want to sound bitter. Maybe I thought repeating the same frustration made me look spiritually immature, even though nobody was listening except God. That’s pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

God already knew.

Eventually I said it plainly.

I didn’t feel an immediate wave of peace. I didn’t suddenly understand the other person. I still had the same problem afterward.

But at least I wasn’t hiding behind nicer words anymore.

That mattered more than I expected.

Hannah Comes To Mind Sometimes

I think about Hannah occasionally when prayer starts feeling repetitive (I use her story as an example a lot in my YouTube prayers).

Not every biblical story needs to become a life lesson, and I don’t want to turn hers into one. I just find something comforting about the fact that Scripture allows her grief to be uncomfortable. She wasn’t presented as somebody calmly waiting with a pleasant expression while everything worked out.

She was miserable.

She prayed from that place.

At one point Eli thought she was drunk because her prayer looked strange from the outside.

I’ve always liked that detail.

Not because being misunderstood is pleasant, but because it makes the story feel less polished. Her pain didn’t arrive in a respectable devotional package.

Neither does ours.

I Once Realized I Was Praying For Someone Else To Change

This took me longer to notice than it should have.

I was praying over a strained relationship, asking God to bring peace, understanding, humility, all the right things. Then one day I looked back over the prayers and realized nearly every request required the other person to change.

I had given myself a surprisingly minor role in the restoration.

That was convenient.

I didn’t immediately know what to do with that realization, either. I wish I could say I saw it, repented instantly, and everything became simple.

No.

I spent a few days being annoyed by it.

Eventually I started asking different questions. Was there something I needed to own? Had I interpreted something unfairly? Was I waiting for an apology before I was willing to behave differently?

Some answers were yes.

Some weren’t.

The relationship still took time.

The Waiting Can Get Boring

People talk a lot about painful waiting.

There’s another side of it that nobody makes much of.

Sometimes waiting is just boring.

Nothing happens.

No crisis.
No breakthrough.
No new information.

Tuesday looks like Monday.

Then Wednesday comes along and contributes absolutely nothing useful.

That kind of waiting can wear you down because there’s nothing new to respond to. You’re simply living normal life with an unanswered question sitting somewhere in the background.

I’ve had prayers like that.

Honestly, I still do.

And sometimes I don’t have anything fresh to say about them.

So I repeat myself.

Maybe that’s okay.

I Don’t Think Repetition Is Always The Problem

Jesus warned against empty repetition, and I think that matters. Words can become mechanical. Anyone who has prayed regularly for years probably knows what that feels like.

But repeating a concern because the concern is still real feels different to me.

If someone I loved was in trouble, I wouldn’t mention it once and then refuse to discuss it again because I had “already covered that subject.” Relationships don’t work that way.

Sometimes the same thing comes up because it is still the thing.

I’ve stopped feeling embarrassed about that.

Mostly.

A Watch Repairman Made Me Think About This Differently

I know someone who repairs old watches as a hobby.

I asked him once what takes the longest.

I expected him to say replacing broken parts.

He said cleaning.

That surprised me.

He explained that sometimes a watch looks nearly finished while he’s actually spent hours dealing with dirt, corrosion, or tiny pieces nobody would ever notice from the outside. I remember thinking that sounded incredibly tedious.

He agreed.

I don’t know exactly why that conversation stayed with me, but it did.

Maybe because I have a strong preference for visible progress.

Most of us do.

We like before-and-after pictures.

Prayer often gives you a lot of middle.

There Were Things Changing That I Wasn’t Counting

One unanswered prayer in particular lasted long enough that I became obsessed with the outcome.

I knew exactly what “answered” meant.

Or thought I did.

Then one day, months later, I noticed I wasn’t talking about the situation with the same bitterness anymore. That wasn’t intentional. I hadn’t been tracking it.

I also wasn’t checking for updates nearly as often.

Something had loosened.

The actual circumstances were still frustrating.

That was the strange part.

I had been looking at the wrong place for evidence.

I’m careful even saying that because I don’t want to turn it into one of those tidy conclusions where every unanswered prayer is secretly God improving your character. Sometimes life hurts and the reason remains unclear.

I have situations I still don’t understand.

I have prayers I would still like answered differently.

There are things I wouldn’t choose again just because I learned something through them.

That feels important to say.

Some Days I Pray Better Than Others

There are mornings when I pray with real faith.

There are other mornings when I sound tired.

Sometimes I’m distracted.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking about a completely unrelated problem halfway through and have to come back.

I used to treat those moments as evidence that my prayer life was slipping.

Now I think they’re mostly evidence that I’m a person.

I still try to pay attention. I still value discipline. I don’t think distraction deserves to run everything.

But I’ve become less interested in pretending every conversation with God feels profound.

Most relationships would be exhausting if every conversation had to be profound.

I Still Want Answers

I don’t want to romanticize waiting.

If I’m praying for healing, I want healing.

If I’m praying for reconciliation, I want reconciliation.

If I’m asking God for direction, I’d prefer clear direction instead of six months of wondering whether I’m missing something obvious.

That hasn’t changed.

What has changed a little is my willingness to keep talking to God without pretending I understand the delay.

Some days that prayer sounds hopeful.

Some days it sounds annoyed.

Some days there isn’t much to say beyond, “I’m still asking.”

I think God can handle that.

There’s still one prayer in my life right now that hasn’t moved the way I hoped.

I don't have a lesson from it yet.

Maybe eventually I will.

Right now, I mostly keep bringing it up.


Daily Effective Prayers Of The Week












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Started Praying Mid-Sentence Instead Of Waiting For The Right Words

I Tried Praying When I Didn’t Feel Anything… Here’s What Actually Happened

I Kept Asking God To Open Doors While Secretly Hoping I Wouldn’t Have To Walk Through Them